Older adult protective services

Duration: 9min 38sec Views: 1514 Submitted: 26.09.2020
Category: BigDick
Each California County has an Adult Protective Services APS agency to help elder adults 65 years and older and dependent adults who are disabled , when these adults are unable to meet their own needs, or are victims of abuse, neglect or exploitation. County APS agencies investigate reports of abuse of elders and dependent adults who live in private homes, apartments, hotels or hospitals. To report abuse , call this number and when prompted enter your 5-digit zip code to be connected to the Adult Protective Services in your county, 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. APS staff also provides information and referral to other agencies and educates the public about reporting requirements and responsibilities under the Elder and Dependent Adult Abuse Reporting laws. Cross reporting APS agencies, law enforcement agencies and the Office of the State Long-Term Care Ombudsman OSLTCO have the responsibility to cross-report allegations of abuse to the appropriate law enforcement agencies, public agencies, and licensing entities having jurisdiction over these cases.

Protective Services

Protective Services

Most seniors and adults with disabilities live independently without assistance, however, some face abuse or neglect by others and need trained professionals to advocate on their behalf. Others may simply be struggling with routine activities and benefit from in-home support services to maintain their health and independence. APS programs can also post this flyer on their websites as a resource for community partners. In most states in the US, certain individuals are required by law to report suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation of vulnerable adults to adult protective services. Other states require all citizens to report their concerns.

Older Adult Protective Services

Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about. Under the Older Adult Protective Services Law, adults age 60 and older who -- because of mental or physical limitations -- are experiencing abuse, neglect, financial exploitation or abandonment, may be reported in need of Protective Services. Older adults who are frail, vulnerable and experiencing difficulty caring for themselves are potential victims of elder abuse, neglect or exploitation. Family members, caregivers and others sometimes become the perpetrators of mistreatment.
Any employee or administrator of a facility who suspects abuse is mandated to report the abuse. All reports of abuse should be reported to the local area agency on aging AAA and licensing agencies. If the suspected abuse is sexual abuse, serious physical injury, serious bodily injury, or suspicious death as defined under OAPSA, the law requires additional reporting to the Department of Aging and local law enforcement. Any person who believes that an older adult is being abused, neglected, exploited or abandoned may call the elder abuse hotline.